Monday, September 22, 2008

One Month In...

We are now one month into the 2008-2009 school year!  It has flown by!  I can't believe that a month ago I was so uncomfortable and knew so little.  I feel like I am setteling into a routine at work, with kids, and have a much better idea about what I am doing.  There have certainly been some MAJOR ups and downs.  The lowest point is the fact that I already have a threat of getting sued!  Who would have thought that I could cause such a contraversy?  I've been comforted by the support of the other directors, the administration, and a few emergency calls to the ATPE and TMEA lawyers-nothing can really happen, they don't have a leg to stand on.   The high points include those sweet moments when students you don't even expect say the sweetest things.  My favorite moment of teaching has been when one of my students with special needs stopped by to say hi.  

At the beginning of summer band, we had a clinician come in to rehearse the marching band.  Not only did he clinic the band, he taught the directors.  All through rehearsal, when we would begin sitting back and not paying attention, he would come over and ask, "What did you learn?"  We would all try to scramble for something that would really contribute, but he had caught us red handed.  At the end of the day he came over and told me that during every rehearsal or class I teach I should constantly be asking these questions....
-What went well?
-What should be improved?
-What did I learn?

Those questions have stuck with me and at the end of my classes I evaluate how I did by using them.  All I have to say is, what an eye opener!

No comments: